Saturday, May 17, 2008

What Do You Want From Us?


Allow me to introduce myself - I'm Ellen Simms, and I own FastFrame on South Kentucky. My store's been open a little more than three years. My husband, Michael, and I live in the South Lake Morton neighborhood - so my life pretty much revolves around Downtown Lakeland (some say that's sad).
I've been deeply involved with the DLP and am probably a thorn in the side of the status quo. Julie Townsend is letting me blog because she's tired of me nagging her to write certain things.

Maybe you come to Downtown regularly or maybe it's been a while, but we want your opinions about what is here and what you'd like to see added.


Coming very soon on South Kentucky - SugarRush - it's a confectioner's that will feature homemade fudge and wonderfully, sinfully delicious ice cream. Just think, the walk to the parking garage will keep those pounds off!


Linkster's Taproom, on Main Street, recently opened. It's a great neighborhood bar. gather your friends and visit. If you don't have any friends, make some at Linksters.


GOSH! is still in the works for North Kentucky.


The DLP and the LDDA are working on attracting new retail to Downtown. There's a lively debate about what should come first - recruiting new stores or branding Downtown. I won't tell you who is on what side of that issue. Would you rather have more shopping or cute slogans? (Uh oh, did I just give you a clue as to where I stand?)


By the way - it's not fair to stand on the sidelines and snipe at anyone trying to do anything. So, get involved, speak your mind. We'll be happy to tell you if you're right or not. (Just kidding!)

2 comments:

Jim said...

What has been done in the past by the LDDA or DLP to get more retail shops downtown? Has anything been done reguarding branding and how much has been spent on both branding and getting retail shops downtown? How much more is planned to be spent?

Ellen Simms said...

Good questions "Downtowner." I'm not an expert on the past efforts, but after reading the LDDA minutes since 2002, I've seen references to several consultants being hired. Some of those were more geared towards infrastructure (streetscaping, parking,building heights, signage). I didn't see anything but a passing reference in the minutes summarizing spending, actions plans or actions taken for these consultants.

Since I came to Downtown more than three years ago, I know of one consultant that was hired specifically with an eye towards retail recruitment and retention. He worked directly with some existing retailers, but the overall deliverable was vague.

Up until the new Retail Recruitment & Retention Committee (RR&RC) was established last year, there really weren't any efforts to recruit retail.

As for the money spent and the results obtained in the past - that's a better question for the LDDA and their Executive Director, Anne Furr. Ford Heacock is the current chair of the RR&RC.

LDDA meetings are open to the public and their minutes and agendas are online at www.ldda.org.

Another LDDA Board member and RR&RC member, Jerry Herring, says that retailers need to get involved and attend meetings to hear what's going on first hand.

I agree!