Saturday, May 24, 2008

I'm A Believer - In The Chop Shop's Burgers

"Now I'm a believer
Not a trace
Of doubt in my mind."

The Monkees "I'm A Believer"

Since Ty and Abby Starkey opened The Chop Shop on South Kentucky Avenue, I have been hearing about their great burgers. People rave about them. People rave about a lot of things, but they genuinely loved the burgers and atmosphere at The Chop Shop.

So, surrendering to the herd mentality my husband and I stopped in for dinner last night. The herd was right. The burger was succulent, cooked just right, and loaded with fresh toppings. The bun was grilled lightly and substantial enough to contain the juicy filling.

I am an unrepentant fan of all things considered deviant in the dietary world today. I love red meat - rare. I'm a fan of real butter, refined sugar (used to work for a company that makes the stuff) and caffine. I do love vegetables, too. But, when you're in need of comfort food, nothing beats a burger so juicy that you feel like you have to take a bath after eating it. Eating that burger at The Chop Shop was a luxurious experience. OK, my tastes are simple.

Because I also believe in moderation in (most) everything, I am glad to see vegetarian choices on
the menu as well. They have a good beer selection, although my husband pointed out that they didn't have Sam Adams.

The Chop Shop is fun and noisy and full of laughter and definitely worth a visit. One thing Downtown does have is a good selection of locally owned and operated restaurants and cafes. They all beat the pants off of the "chain gang" experiences.

No comments: